Clear Skin Formula
With HA+A® Hyaluronic Acid
The secret to healthier-looking skin. Clear Skin Formula is a unique nutraceutical that combats both problematic and dry skin. Featuring selected vitamins, minerals and botanicals, our formula addresses skin health internally, to promote a clear complexion. The addition of hyaluronic acid - a natural compound with water binding properties in the skin - differentiates this nutraceutical from Healthy Skin Formula. A thumb’s up by moms and young adults alike, Clear Skin Formula provides a natural alternative to acne medications which can have potent activity but may have significant side-effects. Convenient daily packets are ideal for younger, active, busy lifestyles. Notched packets open easily. Learn more about the relationship between acne and nutrition and how probiotics can help. Kit contains 30 packets.
- Recommended by medical skin care professionals for their patients with mild to moderate acne plus dry/sensitive skin.
- Ideal companion to cosmeceuticals that feature benzoyl peroxide, an effective yet drying active ingredient (e.g., Obagi’s CLENZIderm® line.
- Suitable for aged 12 years or older.
- A safe combination of vitamin A plus Betatene®, a natural mixed carotenoid blend. Vitamin A reduces sebum production and the buildup of keratinocytes in the follicle.
- The trace mineral zinc supports skin health and is involved in the proper metabolism of testosterone, the principal androgen involved in acne.
- Chromium improves glucose tolerance and mitigates the effects of a high glycemic index (GI) diet. Normal shedding of skin cells is inhibited with a diet high in simple carbohydrates.
- Bromelain, an enzyme extracted from pineapple and selenium, a trace mineral, both have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Burdock, Oregon Grape, dandelion and yellow dock contain herbal compounds known for their potent skin and blood cleansing properties, detoxify the skin.
- Hyaluronic acid maintains the water balance in the dermis without promoting or irritating oily skin.
- Each daily packet contains one small softgel and two hard-shell, odorless capsules to obtain skin health benefits.
- Lot number and expiration date ensures product freshness and quality. Manufactured in the U.S. using Good Manufacturing Practices.
Rate & Review this Product! We would love your feedback, and your opinion will help other shoppers in finding the right product as well. Happy Shopping!
How would you rate this product?:
(Roll-over and click to select the stars)
Directions: As a dietary supplement, take one packet of Clear Skin Formula daily with food. Each individual is unique and nutritional requirements may vary.
Notice: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. If you are diabetic, pregnant or breast-feeding, seek advice of your physician before using this product. Store in a cool, dry place. Does not need to be refrigerated.
CONTRAINDICATIONS: CLEAR SKIN FORMULA contains vitamin A. If you are presently taking Accutane® (isotretinoin) for the treatment of acne, please refrain from taking CLEAR SKIN FORMULA until the end of the treatment cycle.
ALLERGY INFORMATION: This product contains soy (soy protein chelates).
View, save or print for more information on our product.
CLEAR SKIN FORMULA FAQS
- Who should use Clear Skin Formula? Clear Skin Formula is indicated for patients with mild to moderate acne. The product is suitable for patients 12 years or older. This nutraceutical is ideal for individuals who do not eat a well-balanced diet on a consistent basis. Because of the poor dietary habits of people who are 15-30 years of age, Clear Skin Formula is particularly well-suited for patients in this age group.
- Who should not use Clear Skin Formula? Nutritional supplements have an excellent safety track record. However, certain individuals should seek the advice of their doctor before beginning any nutritional supplement program particularly diabetics, pregnant or lactating women. Clear Skin Formula contains vitamin A. If you are presently taking Accutane® (isotretinoin) for the treatment of acne, please refrain from taking Healthy Skin Formula until the end of the treatment cycle. Please refer to the Directions section for more information on precautions and contraindications.
- How do prescription and over the counter (OTC) medications for acne differ from nutritional supplements?Natural medicines tend to be milder, safer and are far less likely to cause negative reactions. Many topical treatments for the care of acne and inflammatory disorders of the skin are available. While effective, these regimens contain products that generate activity primarily on the outer layer of the skin. Although the topical approach represents the foundation of good skin care, it also makes sense to address what is going on internally. That’s because what is put inside the body is just as important as what is applied externally. Other acne treatments, including prescription medications such as antibiotics and Accutane®, can have powerful activity along with significant side effects.
- Can diet affect acne and other skin problems?Yes, for certain types of acne and skin problems. This question has garnered significant debate in the medical community. However, it is widely believed that in addition to genetics, lifestyle factors such as diet, exercise, and stress reduction have an impact on a person’s health status. While hormones can directly impact acne, studies have shown that some acneic patients have intestinal toxemia (toxins build up in the intestine as a result of poor nutrition). Other studies have found that patients with psoriasis and eczema improve their condition with alpha-linolenic (Omega-3) essential fatty acid supplementation. It simply makes sense that the quality of nutrients consumed will affect the quality of an individual’s skin.
- What is the primary benefit of using Clear Skin Formula?Clear Skin Formula is formulated with nutrients that promote skin health, reduce sebum production, enhance inflammatory control and have antiseptic properties. Clear Skin Formula also provides hyaluronic acid for hydration and a range of antioxidants for protection from free-radical damage.
- What makes VitaMedica’s Clear Skin Formula product unique?Clear Skin Formula is designed to address each of the stages of acne. Although an inflammatory skin condition such as acne can strike at any age, its onset is most often related to a change in hormones. Excess androgen production can cause the sebaceous glands to excrete more sebum. Clear Skin Formula contains zinc to help regulate testosterone – the primary hormone involved with acne. The supplement also contains vitamin A (carotenoid and palmitate form) to promote normal epithelization of the skin cells and reduce sebum production. Sebum production in turn clogs the follicle and allows a bacterium called p. acnes to build. The result is inflammation and either a white or black head forms depending on whether the pore is closed or open, respectively. Clear Skin Formula contains MSM – which acts as a natural anti-microbial. Selenium and bromelain are included in the formula to help with inflammation. Hyaluronic acid provides hydration and structural integrity to the dermis. In other instances, acne can be as a result of a toxic overload of the system. Clear Skin Formula includes several herbs which help to detoxify and cleanse the blood and skin.
- What supplements comprise the Clear Skin Formula packets? Each Clear Skin Formula packet includes two capsules of VitaMedica’s Healthy Skin Formula and one softgel capsule of Hyaluronic Acid.
- Clear Skin Formula is formulated with vitamin A. Why is vitamin A important for acne? Vitamin A plays a role in skin health because it is needed for the maintenance and repair of epithelial tissue, of which the skin and mucous membranes are composed. Vitamin A stimulates growth of the base layer of the skin cells. It also helps cells to differentiate normally and gives them their structural integrity. Vitamin A plays such an important role in dermal health that many topical acne medications are derivatives of this vitamin including Tazorac®, Differin®, and Retin-A Micro®.
- Clear Skin Formula is formulated with vitamin A from palmitate and a carotenoid source (Betatene®). Why are both forms provided? Both forms are provided to ensure safety and efficacy. As a fat-soluble nutrient, vitamin A is stored in the liver and fatty tissue of the body. This creates a concern if too much of this vitamin is taken over time (e.g., upwards of 50,000 IUs on a daily basis, for over 3 months). While Clear Skin Formula is formulated with a modest dose of vitamin A (12,500 IUs total), it is provided in both the palmitate (7,500 IUs) and carotenoid (5,000 IUs) form. While palmitate is directly available as vitamin A, carotenoids must convert into vitamin A. For the few carotenoids that have vitamin A activity (e.g., beta-carotene), the conversion process is not very efficient. For example, six to twelve times more beta-carotene is required to convert into one retinol unit of vitamin A activity. For this reason, toxicity is not an issue with a carotenoid source. By providing both preformed vitamin A (palmitate) and a natural, mixed blend of carotenoids (Betatene®), Clear Skin Formula delivers an efficacious, yet safe dose of vitamin A to support healthy skin function.
- Clear Skin Formula is formulated with zinc. Why is zinc important for acne?Zinc is a trace mineral that is essential for protein synthesis and collagen formation. Zinc is also very important for the health of the skin. Zinc is involved in the proper metabolism of testosterone, the principal hormone involved in the genesis of acne. The mineral is also involved in vitamin A function, wound healing, immune system activity, inflammatory control and tissue regeneration.
- Clear Skin Formula is formulated with selenium. Why is selenium important for acne?Selenium is an antioxidant that works to protect other antioxidants such as vitamin E and is important in keeping tissues elastic. Research has also shown that a deficiency in selenium may play a role in inflammatory conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. Selenium functions in glutathione peroxidase, an enzyme which is very important in preventing the inflammation of acne.
- Clear Skin Formula is formulated with chromium. Why is chromium important for acne?Chromium is a trace mineral that works with insulin in the metabolism of sugar and is needed for energy. Chromium also improves glucose tolerance and enhances insulin sensitivity. This is important for some acne patients who do not metabolize sugar properly.
- I noticed in the Supplement Facts panel the word “chelate” after each mineral. What does chelate mean?In general, our bodies absorb vitamins without much difficulty, but minerals are not absorbed as well. Chelation is a process that combines a mineral with an amino acid. This process of chelation enhances the absorption of minerals by “fooling” the body into thinking it is absorbing the amino acid attached to the mineral. The mineral is pulled into the body along with the amino acid, ensuring its absorption. Chelated minerals are more expensive because of the extra step required to attach the amino acid to the mineral. However, this expense is worth it due to the improved absorption.
- Clear Skin Formula is formulated with bromelain. Why is bromelain important for acne?Bromelain is a proteolytic enzyme (digests protein) that is extracted from the stem of the pineapple. When taken in a therapeutic dose, bromelain is helpful in reducing inflammation which often accompanies an acne flare-up.
- Clear Skin Formula is formulated with MSM. Why is MSM important for acne?MSM, or methylsulfonylmethane, is a natural form of organic sulfur that is necessary for collagen synthesis. MSM is very important in building the sulfur amino acids methionine and cysteine. MSM is also a natural antiseptic that works as an antimicrobial. By keeping skin cells soft, MSM allows skin to detoxify. MSM enhances tissue pliability and encourages the repair of damaged skin. The combination of MSM and vitamin C works faster to heal wounds.
- Clear Skin Formula is formulated with a number of herbs. Why are these herbs included and what are their importance for acne?The skin has a number of functions including temperature regulation, protection of the underlying tissues, fat storage, and immunity. Along with the kidneys, the skin also plays a role in eliminating toxins from the body. In fact, the skin is often referred to as the “third kidney”. The elimination of toxins through the skin can promote the development of acne. A number of herbs including burdock, dandelion, yellow dock, and Oregon grape, which are included in Clear Skin Formula, are known for their potent cleansing properties of the skin and blood.
- Clear Skin Formula is formulated with hyaluronic acid (HA). What role does HA play in dermal health? Hyaluronic acid provides hydration and structural integrity to the dermis. The nature of HA’s molecular structure makes it ideal for attracting and holding water. Nearly 50% of the body’s HA is found in the dermis, in the spaces between cells (extracellular matrix). HA along with dermatan sulfate, serves to maintain the water balance in the dermis and adds support for other dermal elements like collagen and elastin.
- If a person has both acne and mature skin, should they take both the Clear Skin Formula and the Anti-Aging Formula? It is not recommended that patients take both supplements at the same time. The combination would duplicate a certain number of nutrients (vitamin A, zinc, chromium). To avoid duplication and ensure a safe level of vitamin A, Clear Skin Formula is indicated for patients with acne whereas the Anti-Aging Formula is indicated for patients with mature skin.
- Will my skin get worse before it begins to get better and how long will it take before my skin starts to clear up? Acne, like other conditions of the skin (e.g., psoriasis, eczema, rosacea) is a complicated health issue. What works well for one person, may be only moderately effective for another. When starting Clear Skin Formula, it is not uncommon for some people to experience a period of adjustment. This means that it is possible to experience a “break-out” when starting the product. If skin continues to break-out after taking the supplement for several weeks, then the product should be discontinued. Skin cells naturally shed about once per month. For this reason, Clear Skin Formula should be taken for at least one month and, in many cases, will need to be taken in excess of two months.
- What is the recommended dosing for Clear Skin Formula? The recommended dosing of Clear Skin Formula is 1 packet per day, taken with food to maximize absorption and minimize gastrointestinal upset.
- Why is it important to take the Clear Skin Formula with food? It is better to take supplements with food because it helps with the absorption and assimilation of nutrients, especially the fat-soluble vitamins, and to minimize gastrointestinal upset.
- What else can I do to help keep my skin clear? A wide variety of VitaMedica products are designed to support overall health & wellness. Healthy-looking skin that is clear of acne is a reflection of a health-promoting diet which is rich in fruits, vegetables and high-quality protein and fat sources. For acne that is accompanied by inflammation, VitaMedica’s Bromelain with Quercetin supplement is ideal because it contains nutrients that have excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
- What other VitaMedica products may be beneficial to support a clear-complexion? A wide variety of VitaMedica products are designed to support overall health & wellness. Healthy-looking skin that is clear of acne is a reflection of a health-promoting diet which is rich in fruits, vegetables and high-quality protein and fat sources. VitaMedica’s Wellness Products are designed to fill-in the gaps where diet leaves off. VitaMedica’s high-potency Multi-Vitamin & Mineral provides all of the essential vitamins & minerals necessary for optimal health and wellness. For acne that is accompanied by inflammation, VitaMedica’s Bromelain with Quercetin is an ideal supplement because it contains nutrients that have excellent anti-inflammatory properties.