Dehydration, stress and reduced physical activity can work against your body’s normal routine of elimination and cause occasional constipation.
SurgiLax is a two-in-one herbal formula developed by an anesthesiologist for his surgery patients to promote normal, regular and comfortable bowel elimination.†
- Formulated with 250 mg of Cascara sagrada, a botanical traditionally used for its natural herbal laxative effects.†
- Milk thistle helps eliminate toxins and excess waste and also protects and promotes liver health, to assist your body’s natural detoxification process.†
- The herbs yellow dock, licorice root, oregano leaf, and Oregon grape provide balance and cleansing support.†
- Bitter herbs burdock and dandelion stimulate digestive function, and their high inulin content promotes growth of beneficial bacteria.†
- Ginger and peppermint help soothe and calm your digestive system to minimize discomfort associated with occasional constipation.†
- The high mucilage content of marshmallow coats, lubricates, and soothes your digestive tract.†
- Five-day blister pack with 2 capsules-a-day dosing provides convenience and ease-of-use.
The ABCs of Recovery Support include Arnica Montana, Bromelain, Clinical Support and SurgiLax. To learn more about these nutraceuticals, visit the Surgery + Recovery section.
Nutrition & Ingredients
How to Use
Directions: Take 2 capsules at bedtime with 8-ounces of water. Each individual is unique and nutritional requirements may vary.
WARNINGS: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Do not use this product if you have abdominal pain or diarrhea. Consult a healthcare provider prior to use if you are pregnant or nursing. Discontinue use in the event of diarrhea or watery stools. Do not exceed recommended dose. Not for long-term use.
California Proposition 65 WARNING: Consuming this product can expose you to chemicals including lead, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/food.
Read here for more information on CA Prop 65 and what it means.
Not manufactured with wheat, milk, soy, egg, fish, shellfish, peanuts or tree nut ingredients. Produced in a GMP-certified facility that processes other ingredients containing these allergens.
Storage: Store in a cool, dark place.
1. What is the primary benefit of using SurgiLax?
SurgiLax is formulated with Cascara sagrada plus 10 digestive herbs to promote normal, healthy bowel movements; to calm the digestive system and minimize the discomfort associated with occasional constipation and to stimulate healthy digestive function.†
2. What are the indications for SurgiLax?
SurgiLax is an all-natural, stimulant laxative indicated for occasional constipation and for post-op constipation that can occur following surgery.† The supplement is intended for adults 18 years and older.
3. What is post-op constipation and is this common?
Even in patients who are normally “regular”, post-op constipation is a common occurrence. Several factors related to surgery work against the body’s natural route of elimination. Pain medication and anesthetic agents slow down the gastrointestinal system and reduce digestive secretions. Additionally, alterations to diet & lifestyle leading up to surgery, including dehydration, lack of fiber, reduced physical activity and stress all contribute to poor GI function and motility, which leads to post-op constipation. For more information, read: 6 Ways to Prevent Post-Surgical Constipation
4. What are the contraindications for SurgiLax?
Nutritional supplements have an excellent safety track record. However, certain individuals should seek the advice of their doctor before beginning any nutritional supplement program, particularly pregnant or lactating women. Please refer to the product packaging for more information on Warnings.
5. Does SurgiLax contain any of the 9 listed allergens?
No. The 9 allergens include milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, soybeans and sesame. While SurgiLax does not contain any of these ingredients, the product is manufactured in a GMP-certified facility that processes other ingredients containing these allergens.
6. Is SurgiLax gluten-free?
Yes. SurgiLax is not formulated with any gluten-containing ingredients; however, the product is manufactured in a facility that processes gluten-containing ingredients.
7. Is SurgiLax a vegan product?
Yes. The ingredients and the capsule are derived from plant-based sources.
8. Why does the SurgiLax packaging contain a laxative warning?
The packaging on any laxative product – medication or dietary supplement – is required to provide a warning regarding the use of laxative products. Laxatives are intended for short-term use; their long-term can become habit-forming and potentially detrimental to GI health. SurgiLax is formulated with Cascara sagrada, a botanical with laxative properties.
9. Why does the packaging contain a CA Prop 65 warning and what does this mean?
CA Prop 65 is a law that requires a disclosure to California consumers of exposure to certain chemicals listed by the State. The Prop 65 chemicals that occur naturally in nutritional supplements include four heavy metals: arsenic, mercury, cadmium and lead. Many plant-based products may have higher levels because plants are especially prone to absorbing heavy metals like lead from soil. And once lead gets into or on a plant, it cannot be completely removed by washing or other food processing steps. A Prop 65 warning does not mean that the product will actually cause cancer or other reproductive harm when the product is used in its typical way. And the warning doesn’t automatically indicate that the product is unsafe. For more information, read: California Proposition 65 – What is it
10. What makes VitaMedica’s SurgiLax product unique?
SurgiLax is a natural alternative to over-the-counter constipation medications that works in three ways: 1) promotes normal, healthy bowel movements; 2) calms the digestive system and 3) stimulates healthy digestive function.†
11. SurgiLax is formulated with Cascara sagrada. What role does this botanical play in GI health?
The dried bark of the cascara tree has been used for centuries as a laxative to purge the digestive tract. The botanical interacts with bacteria in the large intestine to stimulate bowel movement and has antibacterial and antifungal properties, helping the body to remove undesirable bacteria from the digestive tract.†
12. SurgiLax is formulated with Oregon grape (root). What role does this botanical play in GI health?
Oregon grape root stimulates the immune system, fights infection, and acts as an antiseptic. The botanical has antibacterial and antifungal properties and helps digestion by increasing saliva, stomach acid, and digestive enzyme production.†
13. SurgiLax is formulated with marshmallow (root). What role does this botanical play in GI health?
Marshmallow root has high mucilage content that helps to coat the stomach and relieve irritation. It also has antibacterial and anti-ulcer properties, and is used to treat inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, indigestion, and stomach ulcers.†
14. SurgiLax is formulated with milk thistle extract. What role does this botanical play in GI health?
Used for hundreds of years to treat various liver conditions, milk thistle extract has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties.†
15. SurgiLax is formulated with oregano leaf. What role does this botanical play in GI health?
Oregano leaf is a powerful antibacterial that can combat harmful gut bacteria like E. Coli, and is an antifungal agent.†
16. SurgiLax is formulated with burdock (root). What role does this botanical play in GI health?
Burdock’s diuretic action helps in the elimination of waste materials. Its high inulin and mucilage content helps to soothe the GI tract. The botanical has strong antibacterial properties, and promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria.†
17. SurgiLax is formulated with dandelion (root). What role does this herb play in GI health?
Dandelion has been found to produce a mild diuretic effect, and can help with gastrointestinal complaints like colitis. In addition, the botanical is used in herbal medicine as a mild laxative and for improving digestion due to its high inulin content.†
18. SurgiLax is formulated with yellow dock (root). What role does this herb play in GI health?
A bitter herb that may help stimulate digestive function, yellow dock works by increasing saliva production and promoting both stomach acid and digestive enzyme production. It also contains anthroquinones (plant phytochemicals), which give it a mild laxative effect.†
19. SurgiLax is formulated with peppermint leaf. What role does this botanical play in GI health?
Peppermint has been used for generations to help soothe the stomach, relax stomach muscles and aid digestion. Several studies support the use of peppermint for indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome.†
20. SurgiLax is formulated with licorice root. What role does this botanical play in GI health?
Licorice root is an antibacterial that is commonly used for treating gastric ulcers because it kills ulcer-causing H. Pylori bacteria without causing stomach upset. The botanical also produces an anti-inflammatory effect on the digestive system.†
21. SurgiLax is formulated with ginger (root). What role does this herb play in post-surgery GI health?
Ginger has long been used in Eastern medicine to treat stomach aches, nausea, and diarrhea. It has a protective effect on the GI tract.†
22. When do I start taking SurgiLax?
For occasional constipation, take SurgiLax as directed. To prevent post-op constipation, began taking SurgiLax immediately following surgery.
23. What is the dosing of SurgiLax?
Take 2 capsules of SurgiLax at bedtime with 8-ounces of water. To enhance regularity, take 2 capsules with 8-ounces of water in the morning and in the evening.
24. What is the shelf-life of SurgiLax?
The shelf-life of SurgiLax is two years from the manufactured date (EXP MM/YY). Each package provides information on the lot number and shelf-life dating.
Have additional questions?
Our US-based wellness advisors are here for you Monday–Friday, between 8 am and 5 pm PST.
Call 888.367.8605 or email [email protected]
Natural Laxative Supplement Reviews
Promotes Naturally Healthy Skin & a Clear Complexion†$35.00
For a Healthy Skin Microbiome & Clear Complexion.†$65.00
For a Supple, Clear Complexion & Healthy Microbiome.†$84.00
Supports Digestive & Immune System†$40.00
750 mg Omega-3 Formulation$38.00
Look & Feel Your Best at Every Age$46.00
Supports Joint Health & Mobility†$38.00
Supports Mental Clarity & Energy Levels†$24.00
Supports Bone Strength & Density†$24.00
Helps Cover Nutritional Gaps in Your Diet$26.00