Flax Seed Oil
Already taking a multi? Then adding an Omega-3 supplement is your next step to nutritional health. Flax Seed Oil is one of the richest sources of alpha-linolenic acid - an essential Omega-3 fatty acid that our body needs for overall health and wellness. But, the modern diet makes it difficult to obtain sufficient amounts of this essential nutrient. Our flax seed oil was developed in partnership with Omega Nutrition, a Canadian based company that specializes in producing organic seed oils for over 20 years. Just one to two softgels daily supports supple-looking skin, joint lubrication and regularity. Learn more about Omega-3s. Bottle contains 90 softgels.
- 100% Non-GMO certified organic and certified kosher flax seeds.
- Small batch, cold-pressed flax seeds use a patented Omegaflo® process to avoid exposure of delicate oil to damaging light, oxygen and reactive metals.
- 9 calories per one gram capsule doesn’t impact even the strictest dieters.
- Carob coated capsules and naturally occurring vitamin E protects delicate flax seed oil from oxidation and sunlight. Refrigeration not required.
- Lot number and expiration date ensure product freshness and quality. Flax seeds are organically grown and expeller-pressed in Canada. Packaged in U.S.A. using Good Manufacturing Practices.
Rate & Review this Product! We would love your feedback, and your opinion will help other shoppers in finding the right product as well. Happy Shopping!
Directions: As a dietary supplement, take one to two softgel capsules of Flax Seed Oil with food. Each individual is unique and nutritional requirements may vary.
Notice: Do not take if safety seal on bottle is broken. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. If you are diabetic, pregnant or breast-feeding, seek advice of your physician before using this product. Store in a cool, dry place. Does not need to be refrigerated.
View, save or print for more information on our product.
FLAX SEED OIL FAQS
- Who should use Flax Seed Oil? Most individuals can benefit from taking an essential fatty acid (EFA) supplement. However, EFAs are particularly beneficial for those with maturing, dry skin because this nutrient plays an important role in keeping the skin and other tissues youthful and supple through their lubricating capacity. In addition, EFAs can be very beneficial for individuals with inflammatory skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
- Who should not use Flax Seed Oil? Essential fatty acid supplements like Flax Seed Oil have an excellent safety track record. However, certain individuals should seek the advice of their doctor before beginning any nutritional supplement program particularly diabetics, pregnant or lactating women. In some individuals with oily skin, supplementing with flax seed oil can exacerbate the condition. Please refer to the Directions section for more information on precautions and contraindications.
- What is the primary benefit for using Flax Seed Oil? Flax Seed Oil provides an excellent source of alpha-linolenic acid, an Omega-3 essential fatty acid (EFA) that is typically lacking in the American diet. An essential fatty acid is a nutrient that is very important for health and must be obtained through diet or supplementation. In the human diet, only two fats are considered essential. Because the Omega-6 EFA (linoleic acid) is derived from seeds that are widely available in the food supply (e.g., soy, corn, safflower), most Americans are not deficient in this nutrient. In fact, most Americans get too much of the Omega-6 fats in their diet. Conversely, because the Omega-3 EFA (alpha-linolenic acid) is derived from only a few sources (e.g., flax seeds, walnuts), most Americans are deficient in this nutrient. This imbalance of Omega-3 to Omega-6 consumption leads to a variety of health problems.
- What makes VitaMedica’s Flax Seed Oil product unique? From the type of flax seeds used, to how the oil is extracted and bottled, VitaMedica’s Flax Seed Oil is a premium quality product. VitaMedica’s Flax Seed Oil is derived from certified organically grown flax seeds. Special varieties of non-GMO seeds are used for maximum nutritional benefit. To extract the oil from the flax seeds, a proprietary, unique extraction technique is used called the Omegaflo® process. This technology was developed to produce unrefined, certified-organic oils of premium quality and exceptional taste. The flax seeds are expeller-pressed at low temperatures without exposure to damaging light, oxygen and reactive metals. During the manufacturing and bottling, an inert gas is used to create an oxygen-free environment. For patient convenience, the oil is packaged in softgel capsules. The carob coating provides a natural barrier from sunlight, in the same manner that amber glass protects its contents in the bottle. Because of their freshness and the delicate nature of essential fatty acids, we believe it is our responsibility to inform patients how long the bottle will last. For this reason, each bottle is stamped with a lot number and product date code.
- What role do essential fatty acids play with overall health and healthy-looking skin? EFAs perform a number of vital functions in the body, but are particularly important at the cellular level because they are a fundamental component of the membranes of all cells. An adequate supply of EFAs in the diet is also essential for healthy-looking skin because skin cells turn over very rapidly. EFAs also play a critical role in body functions and structures. They are transformed into regulatory compounds known as prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are important in the regulation of inflammation, pain and swelling; blood pressure; heart function; blood clotting and platelet aggregation; allergic response; steroid production and hormone synthesis.
- How does flax seed oil differ from fish oil? Flax seed oil belongs to a family of unsaturated fats called Omega-3 fatty acids. Flax seed oil is an excellent source of alpha-linolenic acid. Alpha-linolenic aid is one of the two essential fatty acids our bodies need and therefore must be obtained through either diet or supplementation. The American diet tends to lack in this essential nutrient because it is not widely available in the food supply (good sources include the oil derived from flax seeds and walnuts).
- Should I supplement with both flax seed oil and fish oil? Yes. The primary purpose for supplementing with flax seed oil is to obtain a sufficient quantity of the Omega-3 essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid. Essential fatty acids (EFAs) must be obtained through either diet or supplementation. However, because alpha-linolenic acid is not widely available in the food supply, most Americans are deficient in this nutrient. Another reason for supplementing the diet with flax seed oil is to shift the balance in favor of Omega-3 vs. Omega-6 fatty acid consumption. Like the Omega-3s, the Omega-6s are a family of polyunsaturated fats. However, most Americans obtain sufficient quantities of the Omega-6 fats because these seed oils (e.g., corn, soy, safflower) are widely available in the food supply. An imbalance of Omega-6 to Omega-3 consumption leads to the development of unfavorable prostaglandins which promote inflammation, platelet stickiness, and water retention.
- What is the recommended dosing for VitaMedica’s Flax Seed Oil? As a dietary supplement, take 1-2 capsules of Flax Seed Oil daily, with breakfast or at dinnertime. For individuals with inflammatory skin problems, increase the dosage to 3-4 capsules.
- Does VitaMedica’s Flax Seed Oil need to be refrigerated? No. Although naturally processed oils like Flax Seed Oil are destroyed by heat and light, the blue bottle and gel capsule protect this delicate oil. As a result, the capsules do not need to be refrigerated. However, it is recommended that the product be kept away from direct sunlight and heat.
- What other VitaMedica supplements are beneficial to support overall health & wellness? Maintaining overall health and wellness is a reflection of a health-promoting diet which is rich in fruits, vegetables and high-quality protein and fat sources. VitaMedica’s Wellness Supplements are designed to fill-in the gaps where diet leaves off. Our high-potency Multi-Vitamin & Mineral provides all of the essential vitamins & minerals necessary for optimal health and great looking skin. Broad Spectrum Antioxidant is formulated with a wide range of phytonutrients to provide protection against multiple types of free-radicals. Glucosamine Sulfate provides naturally occurring compounds that stabilize cartilage to maintain healthy joint function and new cartilage production. For more information, refer to the Wellness Products section of our website.
Healthy-looking skin requires essential fatty acids. Skin properly nourished with EFAs is smoother, looks velvety instead of greasy, feels softer and shows less acne, dryness, blackheads, whiteheads and other skin conditions. The skin is also infected less easily, looks radiant, ages more slowly and remains wrinkle-free longer. The reason why this is true is because a large proportion of skin is comprised of fat with essential fats as the main components of cellular membranes. For this reason, the composition and quality of the fats that are supplied to the body are very important. In fact, cracked nails; dry, lifeless hair; eczema; dry skin and other skin conditions are often caused by a deficiency of the EFAs.
Without sufficient EFAs, the skin loses water, producing a dry rough appearance. And while applying creams topically may temporarily solve the problem, the best long-term solution is to provide lubrication internally. For individuals who have oily skin, too much oil may not be the problem. Oily skin may be caused by excessive levels of saturated fat, which alters the fat composition of the skin and makes the body produce excessive oil-like substances.
Like flax seed oil, fish oil also belongs to the Omega-3 family of fats. Certain types of fish oil are high in two unsaturated fats – EPA and DHA. EPA helps to promote the favorable prostaglandins - hormone-like compounds that play a role in blood pressure, water retention, platelet stickiness, blood clotting and the inflammatory response. The brain is comprised principally of the fatty acid DHA. Numerous studies have pointed to the beneficial effects of supplementing with DHA in the treatment of attention deficit disorders in children and in memory problems with patients diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease.
The primary purpose for supplementing with fish oil is to increase the dietary intake of two conditionally essential fatty acids, EPA and DHA. Although we can make both of these fatty acids from the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid, the conversion process inefficient. And, if the diet is high in Omega-6 fats, which is true for most Americans, the conversion process is even less efficient. Supplementing with EPA and DHA fish oil is important because it promotes the favorable prostaglandins which help to reduce inflammation, platelet stickiness and water retention.